Sample Battle Questions
Where do the questions used in Battle of Books come from?
Teams often want to know: What kinds of questions are asked during the Battle of the Books? How do you come up with the questions?
The librarians and experts on the Book Committee create the questions.
- In which book did kids laugh when a boy’s stomach grumbled on a train?
- Which book took place Flint, Michigan?
- In which book does someone make a coat for a bird?
- In which book does a character wear pink plastic sandals?
- What is the name of Harry Potter’s owl?
- How often did Stanley promise to write home to his mother?
- In Hatchet, what caused the plane to crash?
- In Diary of a Wimpy Kid, what are the names of Greg's siblings?
The questions asked have factual, objective answers so that the judges can clearly determine if responses are correct or incorrect. Teams will not be asked "why" questions. Teams will not be asked about the theme or themes of a book.