Skip to content
Tournament Tips for Coaches
Before the Tournament
- Make a plan to keep your team hydrated and nourished during the event. Bring filled water bottles, plenty of healthy snacks, and a packed lunch.
- Arrive with your team a few minutes before 9 AM. Check-in to receive your specific Tournament schedule.
- Be sure to visit the bathrooms and have a snack or drink before your event begins.
- Take a moment to “huddle” with your team: calm nerves, take a few photos, and give a pre-battle pep talk.
- Reassure your team and give last-minute reminders about rules and strategy.
During the Events
- Take a seat in the competition rooms that is least distracting for your team. Tell them where you are planning to sit.
- Model positive behavior during the events and keep a smile on your face.
- Between events, take a moment with your team to diffuse any issues from the first event and focus on a clean slate.
for the next event. Doing poorly in one event does not mean your team is out of contention for other events or the overall spot.
- Enjoy a snack in the cafeteria, visit the restrooms, allow for a brain break.
- During your lunch break, be sure all team members take time to fuel up, rest or get their energy out as needed.
After the Events
- Gather your team together and take some time to recap the positive moments from the events and from your team's whole journey.
- Provide each team member with their Superlative Award Certificate.
- Finalize your plans for the Finale: gather your team, review your questions for the author, and plan for parent/guardian pickup.